Thursday, April 16, 2009

SPRING!

Spring is finally in full swing!  How wonderful it is!  Things are mighty busy around our house with baseball going strong.  The first three weeks on the baseball schedule are filled every day except for Wednesdays!  It's definitely a different routine for us, but it's going ok so far.  Caleb and I have been enjoying our time together - usually outside!  

Yesterday we spent the afternoon raking the yard - Caleb with his little rake, and me with the big one!  It was great fun, but I have a blister on my hand.  I guess I'm a little too intense with the rake.  I feel like we've hit a new milestone with Caleb simply in the fact that I can spend an hour completing a job and Caleb just tags along happily.  How nice to be able to enjoy time with him and get something done at the same time!  He just loves being outside, and gets pretty mad at me when it's time to go in to make supper.  

Caleb and I eat supper alone, or else pack something up and take it with us to the game.  It's so nice that the weather has cooperated so far with the baseball games.  I remember last year it was so chilly that I didn't go to many games with a little baby.  I can't believe that was just a year ago.  Sometimes it feels like forever ago that Caleb was a little immobile baby!  

Joel usually gets home between 7 and 8, so he has just a few minutes usually to play with Caleb before I put him down.  Caleb just loves Joel.  Sometimes when Joel's gone, Caleb looks out the window and says "Daddy!"  It's just adorable hearing words come out of his little mouth!  So far it's Daddy, Hi, and most popular this week, "Uh-Oh!"  He will drop his toys on purpose just so he can say uh-oh!  So cute!  He's become more of a snuggle-bug lately, which we are definitely enjoying!  But it's only on his terms, and usually not for long - then it's right back to 50 miles per hour.  

Caleb is still not completely healthy - we took him in last Saturday and found out he has another double ear infection.  I'm not real convinced that his antibiotic is working either - six days in and he's still waking up every night from the pain.  We finally have an appointment next week with his regular doctor so that we can ask about tubes or seeing an ENT specialist since it's been a good two months now that something's been going on.  If you think of us, please pray for wisdom for our doctor and also for us as decisions are made.  Somehow all of this glorious weather keeps me from getting discouraged by all the sickness.  Caleb has been such a trooper through it all!

I just have to share a little bit about our Easter.  We spent it at Joel's parents because they needed a piano player for church (as theirs had just had a baby a week before Easter).  My parents got to join in for the afternoon too between many ministry commitments that weekend.  Caleb soaked up the attention (especially from Uncle Josh).  After our Easter dinner, Caleb got to look through his Easter baskets (mostly toys and clothes this year as we still don't give him much candy).  Highlights:  matchbox cars, great books, a summer outfit, and outdoor toys (including the rake used to help me in the yard yesterday).  The best part of the day though was the egg hunt!  Joel and I "hid" eggs in the basement with one M&M in each.  We brought Caleb down and pointed out the first egg.  He picked it up, shook it, and opened it.  At first he wasn't sure what to do with the little thing that fell out.  When we prompted him to eat it, he was very excited!  Then we pointed out another egg.  He quickly picked it up and shook it.  As he heard something inside, he realized it was most likely more chocolate!  Yeah!  So it didn't take long to catch on and find all the eggs, eating the M&Ms along the way.  Sometimes he'd look at Joel or I like, "Are you sure it's really ok to keep eating these delicious things?"  It was such a fun time, and luckily he doesn't mind being the center of attention as we all gather around to watch him!  

We have a growing boy, who is becoming increasingly independent.  It's incredible how much he's changed in only about 16 months!  What a fun journey!  One I can't wait to begin again with another one day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"begin with another one day...." Jamie, what are you hinting?!

sharbear said...

Awwww, I can just envision all of the wonderful things you are writing about. I LOVE this nice weather! It was a little gloomy and rainy here today, but so much better than snow. It's amazing how the weather has so much effect on us. Anyway, it's really fun to read more about Caleb and the fun things you're able to do with him. Give that little boy a kiss for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and before I thought about you having a 2nd child...I was going to tell you I have a friend here who's 18 mon. old just had tubes put in his ears last week after having ear infections pretty much constantly since January. He's about 2 mons. older than Caleb. I guess it's going around! I never had to have tubes in my ears, but I hear it's great! No more infections! So, don't be scared...but keep yourself educated! I have also heard of a lot of parents being given antibiotics for their children over and over and it just makes things worse. Boo for all the crazy worries of a parent! Praying for ya!